|FCAA Summer Food Program Locations|
(see details in article)
Summer Food Service Program in Frederick MD. The Summer Food Service Program is operated locally by the Frederick Community Action Agency (FCAA), provides a lunchtime meal for children and youth that would typically qualify for free- or reduced-price meals through the public school system; pre-school age children can also be served through the program.
"When schools are closed for the summer, some children in Frederick County could literally go without a lunchtime meal if not for the Summer Food Service Program," reported Mike Spurrier, Director of the FCAA. During the summer of 2014, the FCAA served 21,535 meals to hungry children and youth at nine (9) different feeding sites in Frederick and Walkersville. This summer FCAA staff will be serving meals at thirteen (13) sites that are open to the public including new sites in Brunswick, Thurmont, and Emmitsburg. It is estimated that the program may serve as many as 25,000 meals over the course of the summer of 2015.
"The Frederick Community Action Agency (FCAA) is working hard to make sure that all children have access to healthy, nutritious meals this summer through the Summer Food Service Program", stated Sarah McAleavy, Coordinator of the Food and Nutrition Services for the FCAA. The Summer Food Service Program is administered on the federal level by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and in Maryland by the Maryland State Department of Education. Through the Summer Food Service Program, the FCAA will offer a free lunchtime meal to all children up to 18 years of age. Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are the same for all children. In accordance with USDA regulations, there will be no physical segregation or other discrimination against any child because of race, color, age, national origin, gender, or disability.
Beginning Friday, June 19 and continuing through Friday August 21, 2015, a FREE LUNCH will be served Monday through Friday (except July 3rd) at the following locations in Frederick:
- College Estates Park on Taney Avenue, Frederick - 12:15 to 1:00 p.m.
- Hill Street Park Pavilion on Hill Street Park, Frederick - 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- Carrollton Park on Center Street and Prospect Boulevard, Frederick - 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- Stonegate Park Pavilion on Andover Lane, Frederick - 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- PAL Center on Sagner Avenue in Lucas Village, Frederick - 12:00 to 12:30 p.m.
- Carver Community Center on Lee Street, Frederick - 12:00 to 12:30 p.m.
- Amber Meadows Park on Amber Drive, Frederick - 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- Jimmy McGee Memorial Park on Old Farm Drive, Frederick - 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- Hospital Park at 310 West 7th Street, Frederick - 12:30 to 1:15 p.m.
Beginning Monday, June 22 and continuing through Friday August 21, 2015, a FREE LUNCH will be served Monday through Friday (except July 3rd) at the following locations in Frederick County:
- Kim Weddle Park on North Maple Ave, Brunswick - 12:15 to 1:00 p.m.
- Emmitsburg Memorial Park Chesapeake Street, Emmitsburg - 12:30 to 1:00 p.m.
- East End Park at 804 East Main Street, Thurmont - 12:15 to 1:00 p.m.
- Discovery HOA Building on Stauffer Road, Walkersville - 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Through a wide array of programs and services, the FCAA provides food, shelter, medical care, housing, transportation, and other assistance to families and individuals that are low-income or homeless. The FCAA is sponsored by the City of Frederick and Friends for Neighborhood Progress with support from the Frederick County Government.
Any complaints of discrimination should be submitted in writing within 180 days of the incident to USDA, Director, Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964(voice and TDD). The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
For more information about the Summer Food Service Program or any of the services offered by the Frederick Community Action Agency, please contact Mike Spurrier, Director at 301-600-3959 or Sarah McAleavy, Coordinator of Food and Nutrition Services at 301-600-6263.