Here are a few home repairs that you need to deal with as soon as possible:
- Faulty electrical wiring. Seemingly harmless problems like flickering lights or outlets that are warm to the touch may indicate serious threats to your home. If you notice these signs, it may mean that your electrical system is overtaxed or the home is wired improperly - which could cause an electrical fire. Call an electrician immediately.
- A leaky roof. A leaky roof can cause mold growth and structural damage, and could even start a fire if water makes contact with electrical wiring. Storms and wind can compromise shingles, causing leaks and other problems in the future. You could start to see water stains on the ceiling or walls when trying to show your house, which may send buyers away. A home inspection is likely to reveal roof problems.
- Clogged gutters. Keeping your gutters clean allows them to serve their intended purpose of directing rainwater away from the home and preventing damage to the walls and foundation. In addition, prospective buyers may notice the clogged gutters and assume that your home is not properly maintained. To avoid this, clean out gutters twice a year.
- · Pest invasions. Common insects and other pests can cause significant damage to your home. For example, insects like termites can devour wood framing, while rodents can chew through insulation or even wires, creating a risk of fire. Furthermore, the waste left behind by pests may be hazardous to the health of the home's occupants. If you see, hear, or find damage from critters, assume that you may have an infestation and contact a pest control company.
- · Gas leaks. A gas leak is an imminent emergency, since it could lead to fire or an explosion. If you notice a rotten egg-like odor - particularly in the lowest level of your home - get out of the house and call your gas company immediately. Wiseagent.com
Housing Market • Interest Rates • Daily Home Updates • www.darcyrichards.com
To suggest additional topics for the Talk About Frederick blog, to share your photos, or if you have questions, or corrections, e-mail email@example.com or call direct: 240/215-0381.
Frederick MD is the city people love to live in!
Darcy Richards is your Realtor for the heart of Frederick, Maryland. She will help you sell your current home, or buy a home, in the Frederick area. You can count on her for professional, competent, trusted guidance through the process. Reviews. Darcy Richards, RE/MAX Results, 7210 Corporate Ct, #B Frederick MD 21703 Direct: 240/215-0381 Main: 301/698-5005. Each office independently owned and operated.